Thursday, December 30, 2010

Oh the miles I'll go...in my living room

So, because I have a 30 week training program, I have to start training in the winter. And because I live in Chicago, winter extends through March. You may think I'm tough because I am training for an Ironman; however, let's be honest...I'm a wuss when it comes to cold weather and training outdoors. Maybe you'll get me outside to run a few miles (as long as there isn't ice on the sidewalks) but you WILL NOT see me out there sprinting away on my bike. Enter my new Christmas present from Grandpa Long!

During those chilly (ok, downright freezing) months, I can now saddle up on my bike (Canondale SIX Carbon 6 for thsoe of you who care) and ride in my living room thanks to the Cycleops Magneto Trainer. (Photos will be soon to follow once I get back to my apartment...gotta love blogging on my lunch break!) I may not have room for the coffee table anymore but I can ride my bike while watching the news in the mornings before court.

I set up the Cycleops when I got back home after Christmas and used it for the first time yesterday morning. I woke up and hopped on and reacquainted myself with my bike (I haven't ridden since October). Let me tell you, there are a LOT of advantages to this thing. 1) I don't have to brave the elements and go outside. 2) I'm riding my own bike so I can stay in tune with it and get comfortable on the bike that will carry me 112 miles. 3) My apartment is warm. 4) I can ride and get my daily dose of what's going on in the world. 5) I can experiment with different riding positions without jeopardizing my stability. 6) And did I mention I don't have to go outside?! The only downside I foresee is that I'm stationary and have no change of scenery. But I can surely mix up the morning television so that I'm not bored.

So, overall, I'm quite pleased with this Christmas gift and think it will make training a little easier for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment