Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Can Someone Help Me Find My Motivation?!

Missing: my hard-core motivation
Last seen: October
Handsome reward for finder!

For some reason or another, I am lacking some serious motivation. Guess it's a good thing official training hasn't begun yet. I don't have any problem making it to the gym in the morning. Usually, Staci is meeting me there so I have someone to hold me accountable. Getting myself to the pool, however, is trickier. I don't have anyone making me go to the pool. (Hint hint, Melissa! COME BACK TO SWIMMING!!!!!)

I think part of my problem is that I typically swim on days I am in court. If I don't go to the pool, I can sleep in until 7:30 (benefits of living closer to court than I do the office). So, when my alarm goes off at 5:00am and I know that it won't save me any commute time to get up and moving (and I know that it is very cold outside and usually there's snow on the ground), I would just rather stay snuggled up in my bed for an extra two and a half hours. So, if you see my motivation laying around somewhere, please pick it up and return in to me. I give you permission to call me at 5:15 on Tuesday and Thursday mornings to make sure that I am up and moving and on my way to the pool!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cari, I read this piece the other day on motivation and thought it might be helpful or at least an interesting read. It's written specifically to running but can easily be adapted to any individual sport. Good Luck!

    Mayo Clinic on Finding Motivation
    If the short, cold days of January have you struggling to stick with your training or cross training routine, perhaps a little motivation is just the prescription you need. Bridget Standifer, a wellness coach at the Mayo Clinic Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center, offers some guidance. In addition to her education in sport psychology and health promotion, Bridget is a fitness instructor and coach.
    January is often a time of wellness resolutions and possibly a time to set running goals. How can runners find motivation to stay focused on these new goals?
    Determine what it is that motivates you to run in the first place. Start with your personal intrinsic values, goals, and then move to the wants and needs that excite you.

    What are some ideas to kick start motivation?
    Goal setting can help keep you motivated. Ask yourself these questions:
    What do I want to accomplish this season or this year?
    What can I accomplish between now and a month from today to move me toward my goal?
    What can I do today and next week to get me to my goal?
    Other motivators may include pictures, inspirational quotes, music, a specific race time, a goal not in relation to running (i.e. wedding, post baby, reunion).
    Once you determine what inspires you, remind yourself of it, and enjoy that feeling of excitement you get when you think about it.
    Running is a sport of self-discipline. How can this be a source of motivation?
    Running is a very individual sport much like gymnastics, tennis and golf. We choose these sports not only because we might be competitive against others but also because we like to compete with ourselves. Try setting specific goals - a better time, whether that be mile split times or final race time - finding a consistent pace, or simply tackling a certain number of races in the season. Use your self-competitiveness to achieve some of the goals you set.
    What are some signs that show motivation is waning?
    Several factors can influence low motivation. Some of the key signs and/or causes might be low blood sugar, fatigue, excuses, low energy, poor sleep patterns, negative self-talk and poor time management.
    How can a runner pick up on those signs and not "fall off the wagon?"
    One word: Change! If you find yourself thinking "this just isn't fun anymore" or "I'm too tired to do anything," then it's time to reevaluate. Find something different that excites you, whether it's a change in your workouts such as music, location, trail or partner. Consult a trainer, treat yourself to a book about running or search the web for a runners' motivational article or blog. Sometimes just changing up the little things can make a big difference.
    * * *
    Mayo Clinic is a proud sponsor of the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon. Mayo Clinic is the first and largest integrated, not-for-profit group practice in the world. Doctors from every medical specialty work together to care for patients, joined by common systems and a philosophy of "the needs of the patient come first." More than 3,700 physicians, scientists and researchers, and 50,100 allied health staff work at Mayo Clinic, which has campuses in Rochester, Minn; Jacksonville, Fla; and Scottsdale/Phoenix, Ariz.; and community-based providers in more than 70 locations in southern Minnesota., western Wisconsin and northeast Iowa.

    ReplyDelete