Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oh, hello flip turns!

After taking last week off from swimming due to an eye infection, I went back this morning and got a wonderful surprise...IT'S TIME FOR SHORT COURSE SEASON! I really like short course season, even though it only lasts from January 24 - mid April. I like walls. And flipturns. But I must admit, doing flipturns and pushing off the walls more frequently really has no benefits for a 2.4 mile open-water swim. Oh well, doesn't mean I can't enjoy these next couple months anyway!

In addition to discovering the short course set up, I also found out today that I am no longer the youngest masters swimmer! Two new girls started swimming this week that are my age. So now there are more women and more people my age. This is good news! Although I will admit that I love the guys I swim with and I think the respect me for hanging with them. I hope that doesn't go away. Because these new girls are FAST! I am no longer the fastest woman there anymore. That's a little tougher for me to swallow. I liked being the only girl to hang with them. But these girls seem really nice and if they stick around, I think they can push me harder and further in my training and I can really benefit from it.

So you all can get an idea of where I'm doing the bulk of my training, here are a few pics:



The UIC pool where I swim with the Chicago Masters.



The new Cannondale Six Carbon 6 on the Magneto trainer in my living room.

So those are two places I will be doing the majority of my cold weather trainer. Add into the mix the Lifetime Fitness treadmill and that's where you'll find me until about March. After last week, I am beginning to find my motivation again. I'm also slightly OCD and keep meticulous notes on each day's workouts. Want to know how many times I've been to the gym each month since August? I can tell you. Want to know what exercise I did 6 Wednesdays ago? I have that too. Want to know what I will be doing 6 months from today? That's planned out too. So I have a concrete way of tracking my goals and my progress. That's just how I am...and let's be honest, you love me for it!

GET EXCITED: We are 214 days away!!!!!! For those of you that want to come join in the festivities, I have made my hotel reservations. Let me know if you are coming and need to find a place to stay. There are some Ironman rates at Louisville hotels. Mom and I have our room booked at a reasonable rate. I hope you'll come and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment