Sunday, January 30, 2011

On your mark, get set, GO!

Things are about to get real...30 weeks of training begins tomorrow. Well, kind of. My training program starts tomorrow but conveniently, the first day is a rest day. I think I'm going to like Mondays! I've mentioned before but I am following the "intermediate" training program from the book Be Iron Fit.


For those of you who are wondering, here is the breakdown of my workouts:
Monday - rest day (and since I'm not good at resting, it will most likely involve a brisk walk and some yoga to stretch out)
Tuesday - swim and a medium length run Zone 2-3 run
Wednesday - short Zone 2 bike transitioning into a short Zone 2 run (focus is on the transition from biking to running)
Thursday - swim and medium length Zone 1 bike
Friday - medium length Zone 2 run (and beginning in April, I will add swimming on Fridays too)
Saturday - long bike
Sunday - long run

Since it is still rather cold outside, I'll be doing a lot of my training indoors. During the week, I'll be at the gym. I am going to try and do my long bikes and long runs outdoors though. Hitting the gym during the week also works better with my schedule so even when the weather improves, I'll still frequent the Lifetime.

One of the things I really liked about the above book was all of the references it gives. It tackles everything from effective time management to technique to mental training to proper nutrition during training and during races. It is going to be my go to resource. Hopefully with constant reference, I'll make it to my end goal. And obviously, the main goal here is to finish Ironman Louisville well within the 17 hour time limit so that I can officially be an Ironwoman. But I have a smaller list of goals that I hope to accomplish on my way there. So I'm going to post them here and hopefully I will be able to update each time I accomplish one of them.

Here they are:
1) Beat my friend Matt in the Lifetime Fitness indoor triathlon! (We still need to sign up for this so if you're reading this, let's get on it!)
2) Complete an Olympic distance triathlon in less than 3 hours. My personal best is 3:11.04. So taking roughly 12 minutes off is a reasonable goal I think.
3) Finish the Muncie Ironman 70.3 in less than 6 hours and 15 minutes. Surely I can shave off 21 minutes over 70.3 miles.
4) Reach my ideal racing weight by August (roughly 15 pounds less than what I weigh today)
5) Finish Ironman Louisville in less than 15 hours and run the marathon portion in less than 6 hours.
6) Get my m-dot tattoo without passing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment