Tuesday, February 22, 2011

There's No Crying in Swimming

Wow...today was frustrating. That is the only word I can use to describe it. I literally was about two seconds away from crying in the pool. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where it all went wrong this morning but it was definitely during the warm up set. My mind has been in so many different places lately, that I couldn't focus on what I was doing. I screwed up the easiest part of warm up! We were supposed to do 8 x 50 (25K/25S) IM order on the :50. I did 4 then moved right along to the next thing. Oops...I screwed up everyone in my lane. I recovered from that though and got ready for our main set.

And this is where I broke down. We were supposed to do 3 x 750 double descend. Intervals were 11:30, 10:30, 9:30. I should point out that distance swimming is not my friend. Especially when I have lots on my mind. I get started swimming then I start thinking about everything else going on in my life and pretty soon, I am completely lost and have no idea how far along I am. Sure enough, this happened today and before the first 250 was done, I had already lost count. So I was already off on trying to build the 750. Then somewhere around 600 yards, I got passed...by both of the guys in my lane. (In my defense, Niles was wearing both fins and paddles so he was swimming fast) That first one just completely defeated me. So I got out of my lane, moved over a couple, and made my own practice. I still did the same distance (1500 yards) but I did it on my own terms. I did 5 x 100 on 1:30, 5 x 100 on 1:25, and 5 x 100 on 1:15. By the time I finished that, it was 7:00 and I decided to call it quits for the day. I headed for the shower and made my way into the office.

After this shitshow of a morning session, the last thing I wanted to do was work out again. But I dragged my [not so] happy ass to the gym and reinstated the three mile lunch. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill at 6 mph. So I ran exactly three miles, cooled down, grabbed a quick shower, and headed back to the office. I felt really good while running so that was the highlight of my day.

And now I am struggling with my internet. For some reason, my network went out and will not reboot. So I'm stealing internet access from one of my neighbors to finish this post. Then I think it is just time to call it a day and go to bed!!!! Let's hope the rest of this week goes smoothly because I can't take another morning like today!

No comments:

Post a Comment